Friday, November 18, 2005

You know something bad happened when…

A day or two ago I was in quite a depressive state, at first I thought it must have been the weather since it was all gloomy and dark and rained. But that could not account for me being severally under the weather because the entire week has been such. Towards the evening the condition didn’t improve, throughout the whole day I just didn’t feel like doing anything not even relaxing with games and work took a backseat.

That very night as I left Laura’s house and walked back to my place I had a message from my friend Zun Wei. In it was a short message informing me that one of my secondary school friends, one who was a board member of the librarians that I was part of was involved in an accident in which he was killed instantly and his father too was the other fatality while two workers in the same vehicle survived. It was to say the least saddening and depressing to hear of such.

I haven’t met Tan Si Sing for almost 7 years already and we lost contact after SPM, he going to TAR College and I went to do my STPM. Even if we were not close he was a friend that I knew and we had our times together. The accident took place in Balok somewhere off Kuantan, several versions were given and all sources cited a different incident to the point that I still don’t know what really happened. They were on the way to work around 7 am, from one version it was told they lost control of the Toyota Hilux when the car in front of them pulled his emergency break all of a sudden and their car went tumbling and overturning several times. The only news that was confirmed was that both he and the father died in the crash.

Today will be the funeral in Gambang, I recall they are survived by a brother and mother so it is a tragic loss that both he and the father met their end in the same accident. It is sad that I cannot make it to pay my respects but forwarded my condolences via a friend. The thing that shook me most is to know that a friend my age passed away in such a manner. Somehow that makes you question your own mortality, that your life could be cut short just like that. All your plans and dreams and hoped gone in a puff. Though I have seen relatives passed away, most are already in their old age and often of natural causes so a violent end for a friend is a bit shocking. You always hear of it happening in the news to others and never did give it a thought that it could happen to someone you know.

So I wish my condolences to the family for their loss and from this day on I’m appreciating every day of my life as best as I can.

3 comments:

problogger said...

My condolences to the family also..

Yes, life is short, always cherish it!

narrowband said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend...

It's really sad to read/hear about deaths of young people these days, some of whom are about our age, if not younger.

You're right about appreciating every day of our lives...

Kervin said...

mmulibra: Live life the fullest eh. Thank you for the kind word.

narrowband: It brings about a feeling within yourself of your own mortality, a bit scary.