Wednesday, June 01, 2005

World Photo Day 2005

A special project is underway just for today. It involves a worldwide effort to showcase people from the far corners of the globe through the submission of photographers worldwide. Each participant will be given one slot to submit one picture from their country on a human subject in their everyday life. The project will last for one day that is today June 01 2005. It's aim is to showcase the diverse range, expression and faces of the people that inhabit the world and the submissions would truly be a mosaic of humanity as stated by it's objective "to explore humanity through the art of photography". All anyone need to participate is to register and submit a picture for the duration of the project. Details can be found at their website here. So to all photographers out there scour out your cameras and go about today to capture a picture.
Rules and regulations are as such;
  • All photo submissions will be handled by a gallery submission.
  • All photos must be taken on June 01, 2005 and there is a limit of one photo per person.
  • All submissions must be the original work of the photographer. By submitting a photo you indicate that you accept this requirement.
  • All submissions should be 300 kb or less.
  • Submissions will not be accepted until June 1, 2005 beginning at 00:01 hours GMT.
  • Your photo must be submitted within 24 hours of the project's completion, which is at 23:59 hrs GMT on June 1, 2005.
  • Seek out people engaging in everyday activities for your photo. Photos of birds, squirrels eating nuts, pets, and so forth are certainly beautiful, but not what I am after for this project.
  • You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. I retain personally, the right to accept or deny any submission at my sole discretion. Your submission of a photo indicates your acceptance of this.
  • Photographers retain FULL copyright to their submitted photo.


Update:

In-thought

(Click for a bigger version of the picture)

This is my contribution to World Photo Day, it's nothing grand, might even be a common shot that is chucked aside and forgotten or even not worth noting. So sue me, I had a whole day stuck in the laboratory fiddling with the scanning electron microscope in a hot dingy airconditioned room (which progressively got hotter through the day) in a university where the inhabitants are away on holiday else everyone has taken leave for the week to take advantage of the week long Kaamatan holidays. Well I only got this one late in the evening when I was scouring the parks for a photo, I've already decided that I would have one of children or maybe a youth, nothing fancy like dark reality of life (like the back alley scenes and beggar photos I usually take) or festivities (if only the contest was yestarday I could've zipped to the Kaamatan fairground with decent subjects), or national interests (no happy happy multiracial posed pictures) or even something familliar (aka photo of friends, acquaintences or family). Well I always liked the park and the relaxed feeling the people using it has, you could walk your dog there (which is technically an offense), play a game of hoops, children playing the various playground sets or just admire the flowers, no where better to get a good subject matter in a pinch. Well I took some other shots as well, some are ok but this came out the best of it. Saw the youth quietly sitting by himself staring into space upon the slide and it hit me. If there was anything I want to show the world about Malaysia it's this, a youth pondering about the future (or whatever junk that is going about in his mind or maybe I'm wrong and he's just wasting his time loitering about). Bit shy he kept on turning away from me thus no frontal shot, but this side profile made the picture better as it gives him a faraway look and I liked the relaxed pose he has in it. I hope people seeing this will like it, it may not be the best but it's honest. Cheers.

1 comment:

5xmom.com said...

Hi Kervin
What deep thoughts you have! I did not participate because firstly my good camera is still in the shop and secondly, I did not get any nice picture with my old Canon. Moreover, I think it is not very honest if I just take one photo from my old album. So I missed the chance.