Thursday, September 06, 2007

The Lone Russian

Cycling-Russian01

When I saw him he looked so out of place yet so at peace. Approaching he just smiled a friendly grin and even as he spoke no other language besides Russian he spoke volumes as attest by his physique, his traveled looks and his worldly belongings all strapped onto his bike. He told his tale to anyone who would spare the time to listen, resting by the side of the road he opened his palm and in a husky voice he retold his journey by speaking the names of the places he and his bike had been. "Russia, Kazakhstan, China, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Malaysia. So few words yet they spoke volumes as I said. I'm amazed, admired and envied his travels which must have taken him places I can only dream of. This photo was taken when I asked for a photo from him and he obliged as he did anyone who asked. I last saw him at the Tg Malim rest stop along the North South Highway last Christmas and by now he would have reached his homeland whereby the journey he took, on a lone bike, would always be with him till he died. I wish him luck.

1 comment:

hyelbaine said...

Cool...way too cool...I've only been to 3 of the countries he's been riding...Cool....

Cheers!!! :D