Thursday, June 05, 2008

Public Transport? What Public Transport?

LRT-Tilt

It's time that the government finally put their feet down and get serious about improving public transportation. I used to live in SS5 and didn't own a car but that was fine since all it took was a 50 cents bus ride on the bus to the Taman Bahagia LRT which took 15 minutes and I could be anywhere in KL for a minimum of RM2. Didn't matter that the bus was not always on time, it does come eventually. After moving to Seri Kembangan public transport was simply not an option, I've scoured the entire breath of Jalan Serdang Lama for bus stops and never really found one and the nearest LRT station is at Bukit Jalil and to this day, 2 years of being here I still cannot work out how to use the public transport to get to town. It's even more mind boggling to figure out how to get public transport from here to my work place in Desa Petaling it simply isn't possible.


Now here comes the pinch, without my own car I would not be able to get anywhere in KL. What is wrong with this picture? A fact that all of us know well enough, there is not a reliable public transport network in KL or for the entire country for that matter. With a fuel hike it is easy for the government to say take public transport, change your lifestyle or even tighten your belt and forsake luxury. Driving is no longer a luxury, its a necessity. The reality is that even if we opt to take public transport the infrastructure is not there. I've heard that the new expansion for the LRT line will cover Subang and Damansara all the way to Cheras and the city center. What I'm asking, if my assemblyman is listening, what about us in Seri Kembangan, Serdang and the other areas outlying here? I can understand the maths that they'd like the biggest catchment of commuters but most people in Damansara which is an upscale area would most likely have their own transport while us in the outskirts are without options. I hope to see that the saving we have in sacrificing for a higher petrol price and inflationary increases be justified and translated into more money puring in to improve the transport sector.

1 comment:

hyelbaine said...

Couldn't agree with you more my friend. In fact, some countries have even better services and they're all free! ;)

Cheers!!! :D